Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Onion Soup


When I was a small, my family went on a safari. On the last night they held an amazing banquet outside in a huge forted area with meats and vegetables of every kind.  The only thing I ate that night was from a large pot that was suspended under three post above the fire. There was the cutest old man that would serve it and after my, maybe fifth, time of returning for more he started grinning and laughing at me. That is where my love of onion soup began. In the deserts of Africa with a caldron about the size I was.


This recipe has been my favorite for so many years now. I love the bacon and tomato in it and the dynamic full flavors that they add. Onions are so full of vitamin C, folic acid and even calcium. They are full of antioxidants and antibacterial properties. They are so good for you raw or cooked but trust me if you like onion soup this is it for you.  You can top it with bread, cheese and broil it if that is how you prefer it.

So wash them mitts, lets get cookin'.


Onion Soup

3 med onions, sliced thinly
6 bacon slices
6c chicken broth
1c diced tomatoes with juice
1/4c fresh basil, chopped
1c parmesan cheese
fresh ground pepper

Chop bacon into small bite size pieces and in a large sauce pan fry over medium to high heat until crispy.  Set aside.  Drain most of the bacon fat off leaving about 1/4c cup and add in the onions. Over medium heat sauté onions until transparent, about 5-10 minutes but be careful not to brown the onions. Then add in the broth and tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil over medium/ high heat.  Then turn down and simmer for about 30 minutes.  Return the bacon to the pot and add in a few grounds of pepper and add basil.  Simmer for about 5 more minutes. Then get ready to serve.
To prepare bowls place about 1/4c of parmesan cheese in the bottom of the bowl then top with soup.  This is my absolute favorite way to eat it as the cheese is like a delightful surprise all melted in the bottom. Top the soup with more cheese, bacon and basil. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy. I'm making it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you leave out the tomatoes or does that spoil the flavour?

    ReplyDelete