Friday, March 10, 2017

Homemade Yogurt




I confess I used to own a yogurt maker. I tried and tried to like my investment but we just never saw eye to eye, I though he should do all the work but unfortunately he thought I should do most of it first and there was never enough yogurt in the end.  We eventually broke up and I'm not ashamed to say I do not miss him.


I have now been making yogurt for years and I feel like I have gotten it down to the simplest process cutting out any extra dishes and complications. This process to make yogurt couldn't be easier and the benefits to your body is excellent with all the natural probiotics and I dare say more then store bought choices.

So wash them mitts, lets get cookin'.



Homemade Yogurt

1 gallon of whole milk
1/2 c plain yogurt ( I like Fage but any yogurt with live culture will work)

Equipment
Large beach towel
Thermometer
Large pot with lid
Large bowl
Large colander
Clean thin dish cloth, large
Immersion blender or regular blender

In a large pot with lid pour the gallon of milk and place over med/ hi heat. Heat slowly until it gets to 180-185F. Remove from heat and let cool until it reaches 119-110F. At this point add in the yogurt and give it a stir. Put the lid on the pot and wrap the whole pot in the towel.  Place the towel wrapped package in the oven with the oven light on.
This will sit and culture for 6 hours or more.  I have done over night and it works great but know that the longer past 6 hours it sits the stronger the flavor. So adjust the time to what you wish. If you are unsure start with 6 and go from there.
After the culture process, take a very large bowl and place a large colander inside. Then inside that place the thin, clean dish cloth. Spread evenly over and tuck in the corners of the cloth into the bowl. This will act as your cheesecloth to strain the whey.
Now take the towel and pot out of the oven and open it up. With a immersion blender, or if using a regular blender proceed in batches, give the yogurt a good mix but not to much. Just enough to even out the chunks. Then pour into the covered colander.
This will strain out all the whey and thicken the yogurt. Let it sit for at least a half hour. If you are like me and like extra thick greek yogurt then sit it in the fridge overnight.
Once it is at the thickness you like scoop out into containers and flavor as desired.
* Make sure to save a half a cup for your next batch.
And don't throw out that liquid whey. It is full of protein and good bacteria. Add it to soups, smoothies or drink just as it is.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment