Friday, April 14, 2017

Warm Overnight Oatmeal



I could never really get on the overnight oatmeal train. If I'm going to have oatmeal I want it creamy and warm. I love to wake up and have a hot breakfast that ready when I am.


On our trip to Mexico there was so many delicious breakfast choice it took me all the way to day five of our week long trip to try the oatmeal.  Then I thought why have I not been eating this every morning! It was so creamy and filling with just a hint of cinnamon, then I would load it with fresh fruit. I could have eaten it all day. So I have recreated it here. You can substitute the cows milk in for other milks if you wish. Coconut works well.

So wash them mitts, lets get cookin'.


Warm Overnight Oatmeal

2c rolled oats
6-7c milk
1/2c dried milk (optional)
2 cinnamon sticks

Place all ingredients in your crock pot and give it a stir. If you have a start time on your crock pot set it for 3 hours before you wish to enjoy it. Otherwise turn on low for about an hour then switch to warm and it can remain here for 6 hours.  I usually put it all in an hour before I go to bed and then just switch it to warm right before bed. If for any annoying reason you happen to be awake in the night you are welcome to give it a stir and check to see if it needs liquid but this is not necessary.
When you are ready fill your bowl and top with whatever you wish. Ideas to follow. Any leftovers can stay in the fridge for a week.
Enjoy!

*You can use steel cut oats but I would only if you have a timer as these seem to just keep absorbing the liquid and you will end up burning it. 

Toppers
-Fresh or frozen fruit (thawed)
-Crushed nuts and brown sugar
-Pumpkin puree and pecans
-More cinnamon and a swirl of cream
-Maple syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment