Friday, April 21, 2017

Yogurt Parfait


In our family we love our yogurt parfaits.  Mostly, I will make them as a dessert but when I am industrious I will make extra and have them for breakfast.  We top them with hemp seeds and granola and all our tummies are so happy.


Lots of times in the middle layer I will just put more fruit but lately, I am loving the layer of chia seeds for extra protein. When I do this I let them sit overnight in the fridge so the seeds can soak and release all their goodness. They also get that nice chewy, gooey texture to them that I love. You can make this with any combinations of fruit and yogurt that you wish, My favorite is to use my homemade greek yogurt ( just search yogurt for the recipe) with some vanilla bean paste and honey mixed in then I layer it with chopped mangoes. Another great combo is to use coconut yogurt with pineapple and kiwi chunks and top with toasted coconut. Get creative and I know you will find a combo that you love too.

So wash them mitts, lets get cookin'.



Yogurt Parfaits
Serves 4

4c yogurt, flavor and style of your choice
2c fruit of choice, fresh or frozen
1c chia seeds

If using frozen fruit thaw in the microwave for about a minute they will still be slightly frozen but will thaw and be perfect. Chop fruit into bit size pieces and divide in half on cutting board. In four glasses or mason jars use one half of the fruit and place in the bottom of glasses then layer in about 1/2c yogurt into each.  Next, layer in 1/4c of chia seeds then again 1/2c yogurt then divide the remaining fruit for the top layer.  Cover and place in fridge overnight or at least 2 hours.  When ready to enjoy top with granola and whatever else your little heart desires.

*I mostly use frozen fruit because it is what I always have on hand and I love all the juices they have when they thaw. I also love using combinations of  2-3 fruits.
Ideas for fruit; peaches, mango, nectarines, strawberries, raspberries, bananas, blueberries. 

2 comments: